Friday, 13 November 2015

FABRIANO ARTISTICO and me!

I like to stick to what I know!

I have spent so much money on new paper, new paint, the acclaimed new products.... My new resolution was no more wasting. I will not try any new again!

Well... my good resolution vanished when one of my artist friend swore by
Fabriano Artistico.

I had tried Fabriano a few years back but did not like it.

I made some research after my friend explained to me there were two kind of papers:

the FABRIANO and the FABRIANO ARTISTICO

On Ken Bromley's website.... on FABRIANO ARTISTICO

Fabriano Artistico watercolour paper is mould made, produced whit 100% cotton, chlorine and acid free, guaranteeing long conservation and inalterability over time. The paper is sized both internally and externally, making it ideally absorbent and retaining its nature unaltered even if scratched. Traditional white, without optical bleaching.
Two deckle edges and watermarked "FABRIANO+ARTISTICO" on the short side. Short grain. The high quality and ample offer of this paper satisfied the requirements of all professional artists and the most demanding amateurs.
Ideal for watercolour, tempera, gouache, acrylic, link, charcoal, graphite and drawing. It is also suitable for printmaking. 

And so I bought some!

When I see a Watercolour paper unknown to me, I like to touch it.
It is what I did when I received it.

Somehow, it had the right feeling. But... I would not get excited until I made my first painting.
-* The paper has got a very slight creamy tinge which I prefer to white white.

I used a 1/4 Imperial size to mess about: Wet in wet,  small wash, larger one, tried to lift the paint etc etc... all the tests pass in grand style.

One thing I really loved was the fact that the wet and wet session slightly buckled (not a lot at all) and came completely flat.
-* It means the paper does not need to be stretched!

So, it was time to do my first painting.

I choose a Portrait.

I took 1/2 Imperial, made a slight drawing.

-* The paint behave exactly as I wanted.

-* It was a real bonus to discover that it was not absorbed too fast by the paper, giving me the opportunity to blend while drying.

-* It was taking each colour wonderfully well. No messing with a result of muddy colours.

-* It kept vibrancy of the colours. I could have done as many layers as I wanted to and keeping its appearance and absorbency.

-* One great discovery for all watercolour artists is to have a paper that accept the lifting of the colours. It did each time I wanted to do so.

It was time to erase the pencil marks.

Ouch! I probably did not use the right pencil or the right rubber.

-* I was horrified when it made a mess. I could not understand why as some part had been rubbed away with no problem.
I still assume my paper was not perfectly dry. BIG MISTAKE!!

For all other papers I tried, the painting would have finished in the bin.
So, thinking it was going to be the fate of this painting, I rubbed and rubbed the messy corner, only to discover that the pencil marks had gone but so was the mess I had done.

With other papers, I knew it would have been impossible to rescue the painting.

-*I was wrong! I was able to carry on painting as if nothing had happened.

FABRIANO ARTISTICO has won my heart. I still have to experiment it with a Still life and a Landscape. I will be adding them here.



Cheeky little miss
on Fabriano Artistico
300lbs NOT


Post a Comment

Aliya, the little bridesmaid

My latest watercolour with a touch of White gouache on the garment On Paper Saunders Waterford Winsor Newton Fine art artist p...